Tottenham will be keen to put down a marker when they face Southampton in their first game of the season this afternoon live on talkSPORT 2.
Spurs returned to the Champions League following their fourth-placed finish last term and will be hoping for another exciting campaign.
Antonio Conte brought in a host of new signings this summer including the likes of Richarlison and Ivan Perisic to strengthen his squad.
But it’ll be key men Harry Kane and Son Heung-min who will be most relishing returning to action against Southampton.
Only Alan Shearer and Andrew Cole have scored more or as many Premier League goals against the Saints than the Tottenham pair.
And Ralph Hasenhuttl’s side didn’t enjoy the best of pre-seasons, with just one win in four games which included a 2-1 defeat to Villarreal last time out.
Tottenham v Southampton: talkSPORT commentary
This Premier League match will take place on Saturday, August 6.
talkSPORT 2 will have live and exclusive coverage from the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium with kick-off at 3pm.
Dan Windle will be your presenter while commentary will come from Ian Danter and former Arsenal winger Perry Groves.
To tune in to talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 through the website, click HERE for the live stream. You can also listen via the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
Van Dijk sees TWO Premier League records slip away as Mitrovic wreaks havoc
Man United want ex-City ace and Dutch player of the year as Ten Hag ends Antony chase
Ex-Arsenal rebel Guendouzi in ‘lively’ bust-up with Marseille boss at half-time
Fulham v Liverpool LIVE: Salah snatches point for Reds after Mitrovic double
‘That’s a dive’ – Mitrovic accused of cheating to win penalty in Van Dijk clash
Jake Paul predicts Premier League 2022/23 table with a very interesting top four
Tottenham v Southampton: Team news
Tottenham: Lloris, Romero, Dier, Davies, Royal, Bentancur, Hojbjerg, Sessegnon, Kulusevski, Son, Kane
Subs: Forster, Doherty, Sanchez, Gil, Perisic, Spence, Moura, Lenglet, Bissouma
Southampton: Bazunu, Salisu, Bednarek, Valery, Walker-Peters, Romeu, Ward-Prowse, Lavia, Djenepo, Aribo, A Armstrong
Subs: McCarthy, Stephens, Adams, Redmond, Perraud, S Armstrong, Elyounoussi, Diallo, Bella-Kotchap
Tottenham v Southampton: What has been said?
Conte: “For sure we want to continue to improve, to build something important for this club.
“If the idea continues to be in this way, there will be zero problems to continue my life in Tottenham because I stay well and I like this group of players and I have a good relationship with Paratici and with Daniel Levy.”
Hasenhuttl said: “I think we should look at all the performances we have made so far in pre-season.
“We have to find the right team and we will be sure that we will find a team that is competitive against Tottenham.”
Tottenham v Southampton: Match facts
- New Tottenham signing Ivan Perisic was involved in nine goals in his last 10 league games for Inter Milan last season (3 goals, 6 assists). At 33 years and 185 days, a goal in this game would make the Croatian the joint second oldest player to score on a Premier League debut, after only Zlatan Ibrahimovic (34y 316d).
- Last season’s Premier League golden boot winner Son Heung-min has scored 12 goals in his last 10 league games for Tottenham. He’s also the highest overall Premier League goalscorer at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, netting 30 goals at the ground.
- Only Alan Shearer (14) and Andrew Cole (11) have scored more or as many Premier League goals against Southampton than Tottenham pair Harry Kane (11) and Son Heung-min (10).
- Southampton have won two of their last three away league games in London (L1), as many as they had in their previous 19 in the capital (D6 L11). One of those two victories was at Spurs, with Southampton last winning consecutive league visits to the Lilywhites in January 1971.
- Southampton have won just one of their last 12 league games (D2 L9), beating Arsenal 1-0 in April. Saints have lost each of their last four in the Premier League, last having a longer losing run in January/February 2021 (6).
- This is Tottenham’s first home Premier League game at 3pm on Saturday in 973 days, since beating Burnley 5-0 in December 2019. It’s the first time they’ve begun a Premier League campaign in this kick-off slot since 2001-02, a 0-0 draw with Aston Villa.
- Among current Premier League sides, Southampton are on the longest winless run in their opening Premier League matches of the season (P8 D4 L4), losing all three under current manager Ralph Hasenhüttl. Indeed, the Austrian has the joint-worst 100% losing record in first games of Premier League seasons, along with Danny Wilson.
- Tottenham Hotspur have won their first league match in six of the last nine seasons (D1 L2), having won their opening league game in just three of their 16 seasons before this run.
- Southampton have picked up just three wins from their last 20 away Premier League games against Tottenham Hotspur (D2 L15), winning in this exact fixture last term. In fact, they’ve lost more away Premier League games versus Spurs (17) than against any other side in the competition’s history.
- This will be the fourth occasion Tottenham Hotspur have opened a league campaign against Southampton, with the Lilywhites winning two and drawing one of the three previous games – although it’ll be the first played in London.
The Premier League is back and talkSPORT has it covered, with games on Friday, Saturday and Monday, beginning with Crystal Palace vs Arsenal on 5 August
Offers Of The Weekend
Bet365: Bet £10 Get £50 in Free Bets* – CLAIM HERE
Paddy Power: Bet £5 via the talkSPORT EDGE app with Paddy Power and get a £5 free bet – available to all customers* – CLAIM HERE
Sky Bet: Over 2.5 goals in each of the 6 Premier League matches on Sat 6th Aug (was 33/1) @ 40/1 – CLAIM HERE
Bet365: Open account offer. Bet £10 & Get £50 in Free Bets for new customers at bet365. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of qualifying bets. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply 18+ Begambleaware.org
Paddy Power: Place a £5 Sportsbook Bet through the talkSPORT EDGE app between the 1st and 31st August. Get a £5 free bet on the next Monday after your qualifying bet. T&C’s apply. 18+ Begambleaware.org