Sporting boss Ruben Amorim says Tottenham target Pedro Porro will only leave if release clause is met


    Sporting boss says Tottenham target Pedro Porro will only leave if release clause is met
    The Spanish right-back has been linked with a January move to north London (Picture: Getty)

    Sporting boss Ruben Amorim insists Tottenham target Pedro Porro will only be allowed to leave the club in the January transfer window if his €45million (£39.6m) release clause is met.

    The north Londoners are in the market for a new right wing-back with Emerson Royal delivering a number of unconvincing and error-strewn performances, while Matt Doherty and summer signing Djed Spence have struggled for game time under Antonio Conte.

    Director of football Fabio Paratici has reportedly identified Porro as a potential solution, with the attack-minded Spaniard having already racked up five assists in 15 appearances in the league and Europe this season.

    Spurs are rumoured to have opened talks with Sporting and there were even suggestions they could write off a sell-on clause they are owed for Marcus Edwards in order to lower the fee required to sign Porro.

    But now Amorim says he has been assured by Sporting’s hierarchy that his 23-year-old full-back will only be allowed to leave if an interested club pays his £39.6m release clause in full.

    Speaking at a press conference on Wednesday ahead of facing Pacos de Ferreira, Amorim explained: ‘With regard to Pedro Porro, we know that there are players in our team who, because of what they have done, are now wanted by other clubs. We had this problem in the summer too.

    Sporting boss sends clear message to Spurs over Pedro Porro deal
    Porro, left, in action against Spurs in the Champions League (Picture: Getty)

    ‘What I was told is that he can only leave if the clause is triggered. And if the clause is triggered, there is nothing we can do.

    ‘He is playing really well. Like me, he is living one of the best moments of his career and he is only focused on Sporting.

    ‘We are prepared for anything and we know that there are clubs who can pay the clause. But, until that happens, I think Pedro is safe.’

    Porro, who previously spent three years at Manchester City without ever making an appearance for the club, has enjoyed several excellent campaigns with Sporting since joining in 2020.

    Conte actually got the opportunity to see the Spaniard up close in the Champions League this season, with Porro playing twice against Spurs and impressing on both occasions – particularly in a 2-0 win for the Portuguese side in September.

    In addition to a new right wing-back, Spurs are also believed to be looking at bringing in a centre-back next month as well as a creative playmaker to provide cover for Dejan Kulusevski, whose absence was keenly felt while he was injured.

    MORE : Tottenham boss Antonio Conte reacts to Brentford fans chanting ‘You let your country down’ at Harry Kane

    MORE : Tottenham star says teammates will ‘rally around’ England captain Harry Kane after World Cup penalty miss

    For more stories like this, check our sport page.

    Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on
    FacebookTwitter and Instagram
    .

    Source

    Previous articleTransfer news LIVE: Gakpo set for Liverpool medical, Arsenal’s Mudryk bid rejected, Chelsea make Fernandez bid, Newcastle in for Jorginho, Ronaldo to Al-Nassr latest
    Next articleLiverpool open to more January signings – but Enzo Fernandez “won’t be one”