Manchester United will be eager to avoid any slip-ups when they take on Moldovan minnows Sheriff Tiraspol in the Europa League this week.
Erik ten Hag’s side have started their European campaign poorly this season, losing their Group E opener 1-0 to Real Sociedad at Old Trafford last Thursday.
Brais Mendez scored the only goal from the penalty spot and the Red Devils must respond on Thursday evening.
They take on Sheriff Tiraspol, the reigning Moldova Super Liga champions, in their second group tie.
The Wasps, who have won their national league title 20 times in the last 22 seasons, beat Omonia Nicosia last week and are top of the group.
This will be the first time in United’s long history that they will face a side from Moldova.
Sheriff v Man United: talkSPORT coverage
This Europa League Group E tie will take place on Thursday, September 15.
It will be held at the Zimbru Stadium and will kick-off at 5:45pm UK time.
talkSPORT will have live coverage with Andy Goldstein from 5pm. Commentary will then come from Alex Crook and former United defender Paul Parker.
To tune in to talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 through the website, click HERE for the live stream. You can also listen via the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
Who are Sheriff Tiraspol? Moldova’s dominant force who have won 20 titles since 2001
Arsenal vs Man City postponed as Gunners learn new date for PSV clash
Pep suggests Arsenal game could be moved as Gunners try to avoid Europa League forfeit
Ronaldo work-rate gets thumbs up from Casemiro as Man United prepare for Sheriff
Arsenal confirm postponement decision regarding Europa League clash with PSV
Ronaldo describes the Queen’s passing as an ‘incredible loss’ in heartfelt post
Sheriff v Man United: Team news
Marcus Rashford has not travelled with the United squad for their Europa League clash with Sheriff.
The 24-year-old, who has started the campaign in promising fashion for United, will stay at home, along with Anthony Martial, Donny van de Beek and Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
None of the quartet trained at Carrington on Wednesday morning ahead of the flight to Moldova.
Erik ten Hag is otherwise taking a full strength squad, with Cristiano Ronaldo among the travelling party and Luke Shaw returning after injury.
Sheriff v Man United: Match facts
- Manchester United have scored at least once in each of their last 15 away matches in European competitions (28 goals) since failing to net against AZ Alkmaar in October 2019, the longest such run in their history. Bruno Fernandes has been directly involved in 11 of the 28 goals they’ve scored across the run (5 goals, 6 assists).
- Sheriff Tiraspol are currently unbeaten in five home matches in the UEFA Europa League (W3 D2), and have won their last two such matches without conceding a goal, defeating FC Zlín and Sporting Braga.
- This will be the first time in Manchester United’s history that they will face a side from Moldova. Meanwhile, they have won their last two matches when facing a team for the first time in Europe, beating Granada and Atalanta in 2021.
- This will be the first competitive meeting between Sheriff Tiraspol and Manchester United. Sheriff’s only previous meeting with an English opponent came in this competition back in 2013-14, losing home and away to Tottenham Hotspur during the group stages. Christian Eriksen played in both matches, registering an assist in the away game.
- Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has lost only two of his 20 away matches in major European competitions as a manager (W12 D6), against Getafe in February 2020 and Liverpool in December 2020.