Manchester United will be bidding to continue their winning run when they host Everton in the third round of the FA Cup.
The Red Devils have won four straight games since the restart across the Premier League and Carabao Cup.
United’s 3-0 win over Bournemouth in midweek moved them up to fourth in the table, while Everton suffered a 4-1 defeat to Brighton.
Frank Lampard is under increasing pressure after watching his side slide into the relegation zone, but he has never lost an FA Cup tie against United across his career as a player and a manager.
Man United v Everton: talkSPORT coverage
This FA Cup tie at Old Trafford is set to take place on Friday, January 6.
Kick-off at Old Trafford is scheduled for 8pm.
talkSPORT will have live and EXCLUSIVE coverage of this one, with Hugh Woozencroft serving as your host.
Commentary then comes from Jim Proudfoot and former Republic of Ireland midfielder Andy Townsend.
talkSPORT.com will also be running a live blog too.
To tune in to talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 through the website, click HERE for the live stream.
You can also listen via the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
FA Cup third round draw IN FULL: Fixture dates, kick-off times and talkSPORT coverage
FA Cup third and fourth round replays could be scrapped to ease fixture backlog
‘Bags of cocaine and kids carrying weapons’ – Football fan disorder on the rise
When ‘damn sexy’ striker angered boss by substituting himself on… then scored twice
Chorley bench laugh in face of Adama Traore confrontation as screamer sees Wolves win
Giggs says children are still haunted by famous goal celebration against Arsenal
Man United v Everton: Team news
The hosts saw Donny van de Beek add to their absentees after suffering an injury against the Cherries.
Erik ten Hag is already without Axel Tuanzebe and Jadon Sancho, but Lisandro Martinez is set to return following his World Cup exploits.
The Toffees will be without defender Nathan Patterson for six weeks following a medial knee ligament injury.
Yerry Mina and Anthony Gordon are both doubts with illness, while Dominic Calvert-Lewin has been suffering from fatigue.
Man United v Everton: What has been said?
Lampard has rejected the notion that this match is a ‘free hit’ compared to a Premier League game.
He said: “I don’t see it that way. The FA Cup is a competition of pride for Everton in its history and for me in my history. I give it the same importance.
“It’s a different competition but on the back of the feeling after Brighton, whether it was three points or next round in the FA Cup on the cards, we have to approach it in exactly the same way.”
Man United v Everton: Match facts
- Everton boss Frank Lampard has never lost an FA Cup tie against Manchester United – he won twice and drew once against them as a player and eliminated them from the semi-final as Chelsea manager in 2019-20.
- Everton have progressed from 10 of their last 14 FA Cup third round ties. However, all four eliminations in that run have been in their only four such meetings with fellow Premier League opponents.
- Manchester United have only been eliminated from two of their last 37 FA Cup third round ties, though both defeats in that run came at Old Trafford (against Leeds in 2009-10 and Swansea in 2013-14).
- Everton have won just one of their last 29 away games against Man Utd in all competitions (all in the Premier League), winning 1-0 in December 2013. This is their first away game against them in the FA Cup since a 1-0 loss in the 1982-83 quarter-final.
- This will be the 13th FA Cup meeting between Manchester United and Everton, with each side progressing six times previously. It’s the first ever third round meeting between the sides, and earliest they’ve faced since meeting in the second round in 1908-09.
talkSPORT BET OFFER OF THE DAY
Get up to £25 in free bets + 25 free spins* – CLAIM HERE
18+ New customers only. Opt in, bet up to £25 (min. £10) on selected events at odds of 2.00+, in 7 days. Get up to £25 in free bets on selected events + 25 Free Spins on D10S Maradona slot. Bonuses expire in 7 days. Card payments only. T&Cs apply, see below. begambleaware.org | Please gamble responsibly