Manchester United star Marcus Rashford reacts to missing out on England call-up


    Manchester United v Arsenal FC - Premier League
    Marcus Rashford has started the season in fine form (Photo: Getty)

    Marcus Rashford has said that he is not ready to play for England again having been omitted from the Three Lions squad.

    Gareth Southgate named his 28-man England squad for September’s Nations League fixtures on Thursday, in what is the last international break before the World Cup in Qatar kicks-off in November.

    Rashford has not played for England since last year’s European Championship final, where he was one of three players to miss a spot-kick in the penalty shootout defeat to Italy.

    A combination of injury and poor form has prevented the 24-year-old from returning to the international set-up.

    But after a fantastic start to the season, where he has scored three and assisted two in just six games for Manchester United, many had tipped him for a call-up.

    However, alongside fellow United forward Jadon Sancho, Rashford has not made the cut, with defenders Harry Maguire and Luke Shaw the only Red Devils players included, despite their limited game-time.

    But, according to Rashford at least, his exclusion is not down to form but rather fitness, having picked up a small injury earlier in the week which has ruled him out of Thursday evening’s Europa League trip to Sheriff.

    England Men Training
    Gareth Southgate is hoping to lead England to World Cup glory (Photo: Getty)

    ‘Good luck to the Man Utd boys later today,’ the 46-cap international posted on Twitter.

    ‘In regards to England, every player wants to represent their country and I’m no different!

    ‘Unfortunately, I’m not ready yet as I’ve picked up an untimely injury.’

    It was thought that he may have recovered in time for England’s clashes with Italy and Germany next week, but clearly this is not the case.

    Curiously, Southgate made no mention of Rashford’s injury when explaining his omission, instead saying: ‘There were certain players we wanted to keep involved this time, but that said it doesn’t mean that this is the end for some of the others who aren’t involved.

    ‘Marcus Rashford, for example, has shown some encouraging signs recently. He is a player we know well so if he can perform at a high level in the next few weeks, he of course will be under consideration.’

    Rashford will face stiff competition for a place in the England squad for the World Cup from the likes of Harry Kane, Tammy Abraham and Ivan Toney, with the Brentford striker earning his very first call-up to the Three Lions.

    MORE : Gareth Southgate sends message to Manchester United star Marcus Rashford after latest England squad snub

    MORE : Manchester United hierarchy have already decided Erik ten Hag’s transfer budget for the January window

    For more stories like this, check our sport page.

    Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on
    FacebookTwitter and Instagram
    .

    Source

    Previous articleDiego Costa is only man who can make Wolves interesting… don’t expect anything less than full-on lunacy from ‘El Loco’