The Red Devils announced on Tuesday that the 37-year-old was to leave the club with immediate effect.
Ronaldo gave a controversial interview to Piers Morgan last week in which he slammed the club’s facilities, accused the Glazers of not caring about the club and said he had no respect for Erik ten Hag.
The Dutchman opted to keep Ronaldo last summer, despite the striker’s declaration that he wanted to leave the club.
That was down to the fact that Ten Hag felt there were more urgent areas of the squad that needed investment, such as central defence and central midfield.
Ten Hag’s plan was to keep Ronaldo until the end of the season before investing in a striker for the long-term.
However, with Ronaldo now departed, Fabrizio Romano says United are now exploring options to sign a forward in January.
Options are short, particularly in mid-season. But United have shown interest in Victor Osimhen and Ivan Toney.
But, with the Glazers now looking for investment or even a sale of the club, there could be an unwillingness to release funds.
For more stories like this, check our sport page.