RB Leipzig Suffers Embarrassing Defeat in Champions League
RB Leipzig fans were left embarrassed after their team suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of Manchester City in the Champions League round of 16 tie. Norwegian striker Erling Haaland scored five goals in the mauling, leaving the German team with a lot to ponder.
The Biggest Champions League Win in History
Liverpool and Real Madrid hold the record for the biggest wins in Champions League history, both securing 8-0 home triumphs. Liverpool humiliated Besiktas with goals from Yossi Benayoun, Peter Crouch, Ryan Babel, and legend Steven Gerrard. Meanwhile, Cristiano Ronaldo’s four goals helped Real Madrid annihilate Malmo in the 2015 group stages.
Other High Goal-Scoring Margins
Manchester City’s 7-0 thrashing of RB Leipzig is not the first time they have put seven past Champions League opponents. Here are some other high goal-scoring margins:
– Man City 7-0 Schalke – 2019
– Liverpool 7-0 Spartak Moscow – 2017
– Maribor 0-7 Liverpool – 2017
– Barcelona 7-0 Celtic – 2016
– Bayern Munich 7-0 Shakhtar Donetsk – 2015
– BATE Borisov 0-7 Shakhtar Donetsk -2014
– Bayern Munich 7-0 Basel – 2012
– Valencia 7-0 Genk – 2011
– Zilina 0-7 Marseille – 2010
– Arsenal 7-0 Slavia Praha – 2007
– Juventus 7-0 Olympiacos – 2003
While RB Leipzig’s defeat was undoubtedly embarrassing, it is not the first time a team has suffered such a heavy defeat in the Champions League. Liverpool and Real Madrid hold the record for the biggest wins in the competition’s history, with both teams securing 8-0 home triumphs. Manchester City has also put seven past several Champions League opponents, including RB Leipzig.