Cristiano Ronaldo ‘regrets’ walking out during Tottenham match but claims he was provoked by Erik ten Hag and slams Manchester United manager

    Cristiano Ronaldo regrets walking out of Manchester United’s match against Tottenham – but insists he was provoked by boss Erik ten Hag.

    The 37-year-old stole all the headlines following the 2-0 win over Spurs in October when he made his way down the tunnel at Old Trafford before the final whistle.

    Rex

    Ronaldo stormed off down the tunnel before full-time after refusing to come on against Spurs on October 19

    It later emerged that Ronaldo had refused United manager Ten Hag’s orders to come on during the final moments of the match.

    Ronaldo was widely condemned for his behaviour and was duly suspended for the Red Devils’ next match.

    In his interview with Piers Morgan, Ronaldo somewhat expressed remorse for his actions – but made it clear he felt slighted by Ten Hag’s treatment of him.

    “Piers I will be honest with you, it’s something that I regret, to leave the stadium. Probably, or maybe no, I don’t know,” Ronaldo said on TalkTV.

    “It’s difficult to tell you 100 per cent but let’s say I regret it, but in the same way I felt provoked by the coach. Not allowed for me, a coach to put me in three minutes in a game.

    “Sorry, I’m not that kind of player. I know what I can give to the teams.”

    This isn’t the first time Ronaldo has been caught making an early exit from a Man United match having left Old Trafford before the end of their pre-season clash against Rayo Vallecano in July.

    “Me and eight players [left early],” he said on the episode.

    “But they [the media] mentioned only my name…everyone did that… Last year, many players did the same.

    “In that game eight players did the same but they only speak about the black sheep which is me, which is, I completely understand, okay. It’s done, I apologise to the coach and for me, the chapter was closed.”

    TalkTV

    More stunning claims by Ronaldo have emerged from the second part of his TalkTV interview

    Ronaldo has admitted he doesn’t respect Man United boss Ten Hag

    Ronaldo suggested that Ten Hag’s earlier treatment of him led to the tunnel incident, the Dutchman opting not to play the five-time Ballon d’Or at all during Man United’s defeat at Manchester City.

    When asked why Ronaldo didn’t feature, Ten Hag said he didn’t bring the player on out of respect for his career.

    But Ronaldo isn’t buying it as he slammed the Man United manager’s ‘excuses.’

    “He doesn’t respect me the way I deserve. But it is what it is. This is why probably, in the game against Tottenham, I left,” Ronaldo said.

    “Excuses, I see as excuses. I saw many things that, I don’t want to criticise him.

    “He can have a different opinion than me. They [managers] choose the players that they think is better for the team.

    “I respect that but excuses all the time you know; the excuses have short legs, cannot excuse all the time, which is things that don’t make sense.

    “Okay, you don’t put me against Manchester City because of respect for my career and you want to put me three minutes against Tottenham. It doesn’t make sense…

    “I think he did it on purpose because, for example, in a national team the other clubs, if the coach wants to put me five minutes, if someone injured or if they really need me, I will help. But in that way I felt provoked not only because of that game, but before.”

    Source

    Exit mobile version