CRISTIANO RONALDO has been BANNED from making his debut for Al-Nassr tomorrow by the English Football Association.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner, 37, is now the highest-paid sportsperson ever after he signed a lucrative £173million-a-year deal with the Saudi Pro League club.
Ronaldo, who was released by Manchester United last month after his explosive interview with Piers Morgan, arrived in Riyadh on Monday and was greeted by a large group of adoring fans.
The forward then underwent his medical on Tuesday ahead of his official unveiling, which took place at Al-Nassr’s home stadium – Mrsool Park – and he later joined his new team-mates in his first training session.
Al-Nassr were hoping to hand the Portuguese star his big debut tomorrow having sold-out all of their 28,000 seats for their clash with Al Ta’ee.
However, he has been told he suspended due to the punishment dished out by the FA after he slammed an Everton supporter’s phone out of their hand.
Ronaldo received a two-game ban and was fined by the FA in November following the incident with the autistic fan at Goodison Park in April and did not feature for the Red Devils again.
Ronaldo, who was walking down the tunnel, was cautioned by Merseyside Police after he shoved the young boy’s phone out of his hand after Everton had beaten United 1-0 at Goodison Park.
He later issued an apology via social media for his “outburst” and issued an invite for the supporter to be his guest for a game at Old Trafford “as a sign of fair play and sportsmanship”.
He wrote: “It’s never easy to deal with emotions in difficult moments such as the one we are facing.
Most read in Football
“Nevertheless, we always have to be respectful, patient and set the example for all the youngsters who love the beautiful game.
“I would like to apologise for my outburst and, if possible, I would like to invite this supporter to watch a game at Old Trafford as a sign of fair-play and sportsmanship.”
But the 14-year-old Jake – who has autism – declined the forward’s offer and refused to accept his apology.
Due to the break for the World Cup, Ronaldo was unable to serve his suspension before his explosive United exit and now that ban will carry on to his new club.
And that effectively bars Al-Nassr from playing their new talisman until they have completed two competitive matches that he is available for.
Article 12.1 of Fifa’s Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players says: “Any disciplinary sanction of up to four matches or up to three months that has been imposed on a player by the former association but not yet (entirely) served by the time of the transfer shall be enforced by the new association at which the player has been registered in order for the sanction to be served at domestic level.”
More to follow…
THIS IS A DEVELOPING STORY…The Sun is your go to destination for the best football, boxing and MMA news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.Like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TheSunFootball and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunFootball.