Chelsea troll Brighton with bizarre confirmation of £63m Marc Cucurella deal


    Marc Cucurella has completed his move to Chelsea from Brighton (Picture: Getty)
    Marc Cucurella has completed his move to Chelsea from Brighton (Picture: Getty)

    Chelsea have trolled Brighton with a bizarre confirmation of their £63m move for Marc Cucurella, appearing to mock the Seagulls’ statement on Wednesday.

    The 24-year-old defender, who can operate as a left-back or centre-back, had strongly been linked to Manchester City following Oleksandr Zinchenko’s switch to Arsenal, but they pulled out as they were not willing to meet his asking price.

    It was widely reported on Wednesday evening that Chelsea had agreed a fee around £52m for Cucurella but Brighton denied those rumours before the Blues confirmed the news on Friday with their own statement.

    ‘Following reports from numerous media outlets this week, we can confirm an agreement has been reached with Brighton and Hove Albion for the signing of Marc Cucurella,’ Chelsea posted on Twitter.

    It appears to be a dig at Brighton, who said on Wednesday: ‘Contrary to inaccurate reports from numerous media outlets this evening, no agreement has been reached with any club to sell Marc Cucurella.’

    Both tweets had the same wording in capital letters at the top, reading: ‘CLUB STATEMENT: MARC CUCURELLA.’

    Brighton released a new statement on Friday, posting: ‘Marc Cucurella has completed a move to Chelsea, in a deal which will see the club receive its record transfer fee.’

    On signing for Chelsea, Cucurella said: ‘I’m really happy. It’s a big opportunity for me to join one of the best clubs in the world and I’m going to work hard to be happy here and help the team.’

    Chelsea owner Todd Boehly added: ‘Marc is an elite defender of proven Premier League quality and he further strengthens our squad going into the new season.

    ‘We continue to work on and off the pitch, and we’re delighted Marc will be a part of the present and future at Chelsea.’

    Meanwhile, Chelsea centre-back Levi Colwill has joined Brighton on a season-long loan.

    The 19-year-old spent last season on loan at Huddersfield Town in the Championship and had been linked with various Premier League clubs this summer.

    ‘Levi has enormous potential and has already shown his ability last season,’ Brighton boss Graham Potter said. ‘I am really looking forward to working with him.’

    MORE : Frenkie de Jong wants to join Chelsea – I know that for a fact, says ex-Tottenham boss

    MORE : Tuchel dodges Aubameyang question and rates Arsenal and Man Utd’s transfer windows

    For more stories like this, check our sport page.

    Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on
    FacebookTwitter and Instagram
    .

    Source

    Previous articleEx-Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho claims Bayern lost after Cristiano Ronaldo penalty miss was his saddest moment
    Next articleWest Ham boss David Moyes admits he was stunned Jesse Lingard snubbed Hammers for lucrative Nottingham Forest transfer