Chelsea star Edouard Mendy rejects ‘disrespectful’ new contract offer


    Todd Boehly faces a battle to retain the services of Chelsea goalkeeper Edouard Mendy
    Todd Boehly faces a battle to retain the services of Chelsea goalkeeper Edouard Mendy (Picture: Getty)

    Chelsea goalkeeper Edouard Mendy has rejected the offer of a new six-year contract with negotiations ‘going nowhere’.

    The Senegal international returned to first team training last week having helped the AFCON champions reach the last 16 stage of the World Cup in Qatar.

    Mendy lost his place as Chelsea’s undisputed No.1 last month but the foot injury sustained by Kepa Arrizabalaga in the defeat at Brighton is likely to provide the 30-year-old with a chance to re-establish his position.

    The 30-year-old’s long-term future, however, is less than certain with just two-and-a-half years left on his current deal and the man who recommended his signing, Petr Cech, no longer at the club.

    Manager Graham Potter and new technical director, Christopher Vivell, whose appointment was confirmed on Wednesday, are likely to be in the market for a new goalkeeper more in line with the former Brighton boss’s style of play.

    Brighton’s Roger Sanchez and Porto’s Diogo Costa have been linked with moves to Stamford Bridge, but the west London club are still making efforts to tie Mendy to a longer deal and protect his value.

    The former Rennes goalkeeper, however, is said to have been disappointed with Chelsea’s latest offer which represented only a minimal rise on his current £100,000-a-week salary.

    Edouard Mendy has been linked with moves to French clubs Nice and Monaco
    Edouard Mendy has been linked with moves to French clubs Nice and Monaco (Picture: Getty)

    A source told SunSport: ‘Edouard is back at Chelsea and he is ready to play.

    ‘But there is a feeling that the contract situation is just going nowhere.

    ‘Edouard has won some huge trophies for Chelsea — but there is a sense that he is not being shown enough respect by the club over a new deal.’

    Chelsea chairman Todd Boehly, meanwhile, welcomed Vivell on Wednesday and cannot wait for the former RB Leipzig supremo to put his mark on Chelsea.

    He said: ‘We are delighted Christopher is taking up this important leadership role.

    ‘His work in Germany and Austria speaks for itself. We are confident that he will continue on his impressive trajectory here at Chelsea.

    ‘He will provide important support to Graham and the ownership group and play a vital part in advancing our overall vision for the club.’

    MORE : Chelsea agree £17.5m deal to sign Andrey Santos from Vasco de Gama

    MORE : Paul Parker slams ‘overrated’ Chelsea and ‘lumbering’ Kalidou Koulibaly

    For more stories like this, check our sport page.

    Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on
    FacebookTwitter and Instagram
    .

    Source

    Previous articlePremier League – Boxing Day betting offer: Get DOUBLE your odds when you stake £10 at Grosvenor Sport
    Next articleAl Nassr confirm intentions to ‘push’ for Cristiano Ronaldo deal with contract until 2025 on the table for former Manchester United star