Bayern Munich has announced that Thomas Tuchel will be the new manager of the team, replacing Julian Nagelsmann who was recently sacked. The German giants confirmed the news on social media, stating that Tuchel had signed a deal until the summer of 2025. Tuchel, who previously managed Chelsea, will supervise training for the first time on Monday.
The decision to sack Nagelsmann was taken by CEO Oliver Kahn and board member for sport Hasan Salihamidzic in consultation with club president Herbert Hainer. Assistant coaches Dino Toppmoller, Benjamin Gluck and Xaver Zembrod have also left the club. Bayern paid the highest ever compensation fee for a manager to poach Nagelsmann from RB Leipzig in 2021. He led Bayern to Bundesliga glory last season.
Speaking on the decision to sack Nagelsmann, CEO Oliver Kahn said that when they signed him in the summer of 2021, they were convinced they would work with him on a long-term basis. However, they have come to the conclusion that the quality in their squad has come to the fore less and less often. The big fluctuations in performance have cast doubt on their goals for this season, but also their goals for the future. That is why they have acted now.
Sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic said that this has been the most difficult decision in his time as board member for sport at Bayern Munich. He regrets the parting of the ways with Julian, but after a thorough analysis of the sporting development of their team, especially since January and with the experience of the second half of the previous season, they have now decided to release him.
Tuchel, who guided Chelsea to Champions League glory in 2021, has also enjoyed domestic success with Borussia Dortmund and Paris Saint-Germain. He is set for a baptism of fire as he takes on his old club and current league leaders in his first game in charge of Bayern. The club are currently second in the table, a point behind Borussia Dortmund, and have a Champions League quarter-final tie with Manchester City next month.
Surprising reports that Nagelsmann was on his way out at Bayern first emerged on Thursday night. The highly rated manager won 60 out of his 84 games in charge of the club. However, he may not be out of work for long, with The Telegraph reporting that Tottenham are set to open talks with Nagelsmann after today’s decision. Antonio Conte’s days at Spurs appear numbered after his stunning rant following the 3-3 draw at Southampton.