Tottenham Hotspur manager Antonio Conte has denied that he believes he is at risk of being sacked by the club. Following a difficult week in which Spurs were knocked out of both the FA Cup and the Champions League, Conte told Italian TV that the club hierarchy could “send me away” before his contract expires in the summer. However, he has since claimed that his response was a joke, made in response to a provocative interviewer. He said that he did not believe that Spurs chairman Daniel Levy was considering sacking him, and that his comments were simply “una battuta” (a joke).
Conte went on to say that he believed that the club appreciated the work he and his staff had done over the past year and a half, and that he hoped to secure a top-four finish this season. Spurs are currently in fourth place in the Premier League, four points ahead of fifth-placed Newcastle United, who have two games in hand. They face Southampton on Saturday.
The manager also praised goalkeeper Fraser Forster, who has been in good form since replacing the injured Hugo Lloris last month. However, Conte confirmed that Lloris would return to the first team when he was fit again.
Conte’s comments came after a difficult period for Spurs, who have struggled for form in recent weeks. The club’s exit from the Champions League was particularly disappointing, as they had been expected to progress to the quarter-finals after winning the first leg of their tie against AC Milan 1-0. However, they were beaten 3-0 in the second leg, and were also knocked out of the FA Cup by Championship side Sheffield United.
Despite these setbacks, Conte insisted that he remained committed to the club and was focused on achieving success this season. He said that he and his staff were working hard to improve the team’s performances, and that he hoped to secure a new contract with Spurs in the future.
Conte’s comments will be welcomed by Spurs fans, who have been concerned about the team’s recent form. The club has struggled to find consistency this season, and has been hampered by injuries to key players such as Harry Kane and Son Heung-min. However, with Lloris set to return soon and Kane back in training, there is hope that Spurs can turn their season around and secure a top-four finish.
Whether or not Conte remains at the club beyond this season remains to be seen. His contract expires in the summer, and there has been speculation that he could be replaced if Spurs fail to achieve their objectives this season. However, for now at least, he appears to be fully committed to the club and focused on securing success on the pitch.