On another quiet day in an 17-day gap between fixtures for Liverpool, the club received news of two international call-ups and the cancellation of another.
Common sense prevails over Keita
The Guinea captain is, of course, sidelined with an injury that has seen him left out of Liverpool’s squad for the Champions League group stage.
A statement from the Federation of Guinea Football (FSF) has explained that “due to his state of physical health,” Keita will not join Guinea for their clashes with Algeria and the Ivory Coast.
Instead, he will remain on Merseyside for further treatment for an injury that, upon Klopp’s last update, is said to extend to “somewhere in October.”
It is still suggested that the opinions of the FSF and Liverpool differ, but club overrules country in this tug-of-war.
3 things today: Another new call-up
- Jordan Henderson has been brought into the England squad following an earlier-than-expected recovery from a hamstring injury
- Liverpool could opt out of the Carabao Cup in the future if new proposals are voted in
Latest Liverpool FC news
- Virgil van Dijk insists avoiding injury is not on his mind in the buildup to the winter World Cup (PA)
- Brighton midfielder Pascal Gross was asked about a possible move to Liverpool – and gave a “realistic” answer (SPORT1)
- Exciting winger Trent Kone-Doherty has been called up to the Republic of Ireland U17s squad (FAI)
Latest chat from elsewhere
- Christoph Freund has now committed to staying at Salzburg after turning down a role as Chelsea‘s new sporting director (The Athletic)
- Russia have been excluded from qualification for Euro 2024 (UEFA)
Tweet of the day and match of the night
— Liverpool FC Women (@LiverpoolFCW) September 20, 2022
Liverpool are, believe it or not, in action tonight as the under-21s take on League Two side Rochdale in the Papa John’s Trophy.